Saturday, May 02, 2009

May 2, 2009

Just a really quick post to say that Charlie's swimming session this morning was a HUGE success! The water at the pool was 31 degrees as promised, and the air was really warm too. I was amazed that we managed to get Charlie changed, into the pool, spend TWO HOURS splashing, swimming and sliding, then get him showered and changed without him turning even remotely blue!
Bearing in mind he's only been swimming about five times in his whole life, we were thrilled to bits with how confident he was in the water. He had no problems with going under the water or getting his face splashed. He had his armbands on, and for the first time ever, he seemed to realise that he wouldn't sink if we let go of him, and really enjoyed bobbing about on his own.
In a strange way, it was a really emotional moment, watching him floating about (out of his depth) completely independently. We were so proud of how well he did. Hopefully we can make this a regular thing, so he can eventually learn to swim properly. I would have taken some pictures, but I didn't fancy having my camera or my phone in the pool!
The other bonus was that Chas was really hungry after the swim... I think that's the first time I've ever been able to say he was really hungry! (Although I dread to think how many calories he burned off in the pool!)
He's already begging to go swimming again tomorrow, so I think we can say it was a success!
Anyway - we're off to build Charlie's new swing! Back soon!

No comments: