Friday, July 17, 2015

First day at Primary School...

...and now, the last day at Primary School!
Goodness me, I can't quite believe it's Charlie's last day already.
I dug out his first day pic, and snapped another in the same place this morning.
Just look at where the door handle is in relation to his head - look how much he's grown!
I'm so very proud of this boy.
Before he was born, we were given a 50/50 chance of him surviving long enough to get to school, so it is amazing to see him do so well and be ready to start his secondary school journey in September.
We had his school report on Monday, and it was brilliant - he scored fives across the board in all his National Tests, which means he is exceeding the expectations for children of his age in every subject. And yes, we were SO proud.
We also had his last sports day - 'cross country' (three laps of the school field) was optional, but Charlie decided he wanted to join in.
I'm not generally one of those mums that cries at school stuff, but as they lined up at the starting line, I already had tears dripping off my chin.
I knew he was going to come last.
He knew he was going to come last.
But he didn't care.
He just wanted to do his best, and join in with his friends.
He was in last place as soon as they started running, and the gap got wider and wider.
He walked for a bit around the back and then jogged a bit more.
In the end, he stopped after the second lap (by which time some of the faster kids had finished their third lap, so it didn't actually look like he was last because some of the other kids were still finishing their third lap...) but I was so desperately proud of him, it took me nearly ten minutes to pull myself together.
So many other parents and teachers approached me during the course of the afternoon and told me that they'd been crying too, and were so proud of him.
Yesterday was his Leavers' Assembly at school, and he sang a solo.
Yup.
I was proud again.
This afternoon there's a picnic for us all up at the school, some fun and games, and then each Year Six pupil rings the old school bell as they leave the school for the final time.
Yes, I'm definitely taking tissues with me.
And tonight is his Leavers' Party (I'm refusing to call it a Prom - he's only 11...) at a posh hotel up the road.
So he's had a busy old time - and is more than ready to start the next phase in his education (just wait until you see a pic of him in his high school blazer... be still my beating heart!!)

It goes without saying Charlie-Boy, that we love you and we are more proud of you than you could ever imagine. Here's to the next seven years! xxx

No comments: