Wednesday, September 02, 2009

September 2, 2009

'Twas the night before term-time, and all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
School tie and jumper both hang on the door,
With book-bag and new shoes in place on the floor.

Charlie was wrapped up all snug in his bed,
While visions of new classrooms danced in his head.
His lunch bag was ready, his homework done too...
...But once he's gone back to school, what's his mum going to do?!?


Well, you get my drift! Charlie goes back to school tomorrow, into Year 1, and I can't believe it. Firstly, I can't believe how fast the summer hols have flown by, and secondly I can't believe he's already into his second year at school.
He's very excited about going back, and is looking forward to catching up with all his friends again. The two classes have been mixed about this year, so he'll have the chance to make some new friends too.
His new Dalek lunchbag (well, what else did you expect?) is full of yummy breaktime snacks in the fridge, along with his new Dalek (yes, again) drink bottle. He'll be having school dinners again, so his dinner money is in his book-bag in his new... yes you've guessed it... Dalek wallet!
He went straight off to sleep tonight, which made me smile - I vividly remember the night before school started when I was little. Every time I'd be lying in bed, wide awake and excited, and would end up tiptoeing downstairs for a chat with Mum!
I loved school when I was a kid - and I'll happily admit I was something of a swot. Charlie seems to really enjoy school too, which is a bonus. We're really hoping that this year's teacher is as brilliant as last year's was - including Charlie in everything, but gearing activities so he could join in with the others.
Anyway, that's it for now - I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with myself tomorrow though! I've got used to having my little man around 24/7 for the past seven weeks, and I'm going to miss him like mad when he's back at school. We've had a lovely holiday though... and I guess it's not THAT long until half-term!
Watch out tomorrow for a few 'first day of school' photos! I'm looking forward to comparing them with last year's! (That's assuming Chas eats his breakfast in time for me to take some!)

1 comment:

The Cryer Family said...

All sounds very familiar! Great poem! Tom is back today, and it is very quiet without him, even with the others at home. I have just cleaned the hob & rings etc. for 1.5 hours... it does not bode well for when they are all back...