Saturday, December 19, 2009

Just what we've been looking for...

Our Christmas tree doesn't have that many baubles on it - it's covered in little ornaments that mean something.
There's a Rudolph the reindeer that's more than 40 years old - Mum and Dad had it years ago, and I 'acquired' it.
There's a little fairy that Dad bought for me when I was about six, because I pleaded and pleaded for her in a big department store.
There are a couple of Tiggers that Mum bought for us the Christmas after Will was born.
And there are lots and lots of ornaments with our boys' names on - snowmen, angels, Santas, snowshakers, teddy bears, bells... we buy new ones every year. Charlie loves having baubles with his name on, and I love hanging the ones with Will's name on - I feel like it includes him in our Christmas.
Our latest tree decoration came in the post today. Charlie and I have been looking everywhere - but you don't find many with 'Grandpa' on.
I finally found this one online. I told the lady in the shop why it was so special, and she sent it out really quickly so we'd have it in time for Christmas.
It's hanging in pride of place on our tree, and it makes us smile every time we see it.
I miss my Dad, and Charlie misses his Grandpa so very much - especially now, at this time of year.
But like I've said before, Dad's faith was rock solid, and as he neared the end, he knew exactly where he was going.
I found this poem online, and it made me smile (and cry) because I can really picture my Dad joining in with the bass harmonies, along with the Heavenly choir, this Christmas.

I see the countless Christmas trees
Around the world below,
With tiny lights like Heaven's stars
Reflecting in the snow.

The sight is so spectacular
Please wipe away that tear,
For I am spending Christmas
With Jesus Christ this year.

I hear the many Christmas songs
That people hold so dear,
But the sound of music can't compare
With the Christmas choir up here.

I have no words to tell you
Of the joy their voices bring,
For it is beyond description
To hear the angels sing.

I know how much you miss me,
I see the pain inside your heart,
But I am not so far away,
We really aren't apart.

So be happy for me, dear ones,
You know I hold you dear,
But I am spending Christmas
With Jesus Christ this year.

I can't tell you of the splendour
Or the peace here in this place.
Can you just imagine Christmas
With my Saviour, face to face!

I'll ask him to lift your spirit,
As I tell him of your love,
So then pray for one another
As you lift your eyes above.

Please let your hearts be joyful,
And let your spirit sing!
For I am spending Christmas in Heaven,
And I’m walking with the King!

No comments: