Thursday, April 01, 2010

Two chest drains down...

Charlie has had two chest drains, his central line and the dressing
off his pacemaker wound removed.
He is playing with Nanny now - still quite spaced out, and he won't
remember anything about it.
But I don't think I'll ever forget it.
There is something soul-searing about holding your child down while he
screams and pleads for help - asking his helpless parents to stop the
nurses hurting him.
I wish I could say I'll never have to do it again - but we'll be in
exactly the same place in a few days when the last line and pacing
wires come out.
Maybe they should start giving the parents midazolam too.

Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

Ann Fisher said...

You are so so brave. At least Charlie won't remember it and he will be more comfortable. Just keep thinking how the more wires and tubes that come out, the closer you get to going home.
Ann
xx

Jenny said...

Oh my heart just breaks for you. That is awful. We have never had to do that for our daughter but we are pre Fontan still. :( Every step is one step closer to moving on to going home. Will keep praying for your Charlie's recovery.